Home Forums General Discussion Am I making a mistake? Reply To: Am I making a mistake?

James

Hi Isaac,

I think your best guidance will come from prayer (followed by a period of listening with a calm mind for God’s response). If you feel led to join the Orthodox Church, then that is what is right for you. Don’t forget, by the way, that if you ever feel yourself uncomfortable in a congregation, you can always leave it and join another.

I’ve had some pretty exasperating conversations and email exchanges with Christians, some Orthodox some not, who are doggedly opposed to homosexuality. Most bang on about certain Bible verses, canons and church tradition. Few who do so are willing to change their position one inch. But at the same time surprisingly few seem to be creating a religious smokescreen to justify their hatred of homosexuals rather than stating what for them are sincerely held beliefs. Unfortunately, many seem to think, most of them incorrectly, that they’re capable of loving the sinner but hating the sin.

On the other hand, I’ve had many conversations and email exchanges with Christians, some Orthodox some not, who are very supportive of gay/lesbian people who make a sincere effort to follow Christ as best they can. I suspect that these people are often silent in their congregation — until someone needs their support.

It’s always tempting to give in to the bullies standing in front of the church door trying to keep you out. But as someone once said (wink), ‘knock, and it shall be opened unto you’.

Comments are closed.