Home Forums General Discussion Same sex attraction in orthodoxy Reply To: Same sex attraction in orthodoxy

Maria

I feel people who say sex that is not for procreation or sex between people of the same sex is just for “fun” don’t understand us at all.
As for a more Orthodox perspective…

“There are two misunderstandings about marriage which should be rejected in Orthodox dogmatic theology. One is that marriage exists for the sole purpose of procreation. What, then, is the meaning of marriage for those couples who have no children? Are they advised to divorce and remarry? Even in the case of those who have children: are they actually supposed to have relations once a year for the sole purpose of ‘procreation’? This has never been a teaching of the Church.
On the contrary, according to St John Chrysostom, among the two reasons for which marriage was instituted, namely”
‘to bring man to be content with one woman and to have children’,
it is the first reason which is the most important:
‘as for procreation, it is not required absolutely by marriage…’
In fact, in Orthodox understanding, the goal of marriage is that the spouses should become one, in the image of the Holy Trinity.

“In the Orthodox Church, there is no understanding of sexual union as something unclean or unholy. This becomes clear when one reads the following prayers from the Orthodox rite of Marriage:
‘Bless their marriage, and vouchsafe unto these Thy servants… chastity, mutual love in the bond of peace… Preserve their bed unassailed… Cause their marriage to be honorable. Preserve their bed blameless. Mercifully grant that they may live together in purity…’
Sexual life is therefore considered compatible with ‘purity’ and ‘chastity’, the latter being, of course, not an abstinence from intercourse but rather a sexual life that is liberated”

“In Christian marriage, it is not selfish ‘pleasure’ or search for ‘fun’ which is the main driving force: it is rather a quest for mutual sacrifice, for readiness to take the partner’s cross as one’s own, to share one’s whole life with one’s partner. The ultimate goal of marriage is the same as that of every other sacrament, deification of the human nature and union with Christ.”

I think this can all apply equally to same-sex marriages. Don’t you? 🙂

”Marriage is a journey of love. It is the creation of a new human being, a new person, for, as the Gospel says, “the two will be as one flesh” (Mt 19.5; Mk 10.7). God unites two people, and makes them one.
From this union of two people, who agree to synchronize their footsteps and harmonize the beating of their hearts, a new human being emerges. Through such profound and spontaneous love, the one becomes a presence, a living reality, in the heart of the other. 
“I am married” means that I cannot live a single day, even a few moments, without the companion of my life. My husband, my wife, is a part of my being, of my flesh, of my soul. He or she complements me. He or she is the thought of my mind. He or she is the reason for which my heart beats.”
Archimandrite Aimilianos Marriage: the Great Sacrament.

Comments are closed.